Adventure Creator Questions

Discuss authoring naninovel scenario scripts.
Alatriste

Adventure Creator Questions

Post by Alatriste »

Hi,

I'm trying to use AC and NN together for my next project. I'm running a gym scene to try different functionalities and I found a little issue I don't know how to fix. When I trigger a dialogue in NN after activating a Hotspot, the hotspot label is visible during the conversation. This only happens if I setup a character to be displayed during the conversation. Otherwise, the label "Man" is not visible.
Swapping cameras doesn't make any difference.
What "solve" the problem is running before some other script to give time the label to be cleared by the AC engine.But when NN dialogue runs from the beginning, the label is there.

As extra information my project is a 3D first person adventure.

Any idea about what the problem is? Thanks!

Alatriste

Re: Adventure Creator Questions

Post by Alatriste »

I found the problem. You can select the type of UI. I was using the Unity UI instead of the AC UI.
I'll leave the answer here just in case someone runs into the same problem.

Alatriste

Post by Alatriste »

I have noticed three things:

1) When I enable the option "Turn off AC," I need to set up a wait action before running the NN script. Otherwise, the AC doesn't have enough time to "switch off," and weird things happen, such as enabled hotspots or the menu button staying on. I'm wondering whether this could be added to the NN action so that it automatically includes the wait, or perhaps there's a safer way to ensure that the AC is completely off, including the UI.

2) The NN action doesn't wait until its execution finishes when it runs. According to the AC creator, if the NN is not stopping the AC, then the action should wait to finish running before moving on to the next action.

3) I don't see any difference having swapping camera on or off. I attached the image where the AC debug panel is enable and you can see that the camera remains the same when NN runs. (Turn off AC is disable).

idaot
support

Post by idaot »

The example provided by Naninovel is one way of integrating AC into Naninovel, you are free to modify the custom actions and commands however you want. In regards to a wait action, it's possible to call it through code (https://www.adventurecreator.org/forum/ ... ngine-wait) and you could add it to the RunAsync function in a modified version of the ActionPlayNaninovelScript script.

As for the @turnOnAC command, I don't think it's designed to be awaited to completion. As long as you specify an action parameter in @turnOnAC, Naninovel will proceed to play the action.

In regards to the camera, you need to inspect the cameras directly as the AC debugger may or may not track the cameras from outside its system. Naninovel specifically disables the kickstarter Camera and enables Naninovel's own Camera (by default found under Naninovel/CameraManager/CameraLookController). If it's not working when Turn off AC is off then it's probably something on the AC side.

Alatriste

Post by Alatriste »

The example provided by Naninovel is one way of integrating AC into Naninovel, you are free to modify the custom actions and commands however you want. In regards to a wait action, it's possible to call it through code (https://www.adventurecreator.org/forum/ ... ngine-wait) and you could add it to the RunAsync function in a modified version of the ActionPlayNaninovelScript script.

It would be nice if this is added into the action for those of us that are not programmers.

In regards to the camera, you need to inspect the cameras directly as the AC debugger may or may not track the cameras from outside its system. Naninovel specifically disables the kickstarter Camera and enables Naninovel's own Camera (by default found under Naninovel/CameraManager/CameraLookController). If it's not working when Turn off AC is off then it's probably something on the AC side.

I'll take a look. Thanks.

Alatriste

Post by Alatriste »

Still doing some testing about the integration between NN and AC.

So far I found the missing things:

• NN being able to read local and global variables in AC.
  • NN being able to set local and global variables in AC.
  • AC being able to read and set variables in NN.
  • When the "Turn Off AC" option is activated, I lose the ability to resume actions within the AC script after engaging in an NN dialogue. So If I want a specific action to happen after, I'm force to create a game object with the action I want to run in AC. The solution should be to be able to continue the action script after NN runs.
  • Now the point above also can create an issue: if I have to leave AC running in the background, I can interact with Hotspots and other stuff, which is not desirable.
idaot
support

Post by idaot »

The extension is designed to be a simple dialogue drop-in system and is just one way of integrating Naninovel into Adventure Creator. You are free to add your own actions.

I am not the developer. I am merely reiterating what Elringus has stated multiple times in the discord support server.