Inventory

Share custom commands, script functions, actor implementations and other Naninovel plug-ins you've created.
Elringus
admin

Inventory

Post by Elringus »

Naninovel Inventory

While an inventory system is out of scope for visual novels, we had a lot of requests and questions on how to integrate one with Naninovel. The GitHub project serves as an example for creating and integrating an inventory extension, which you can set up on top of Naninovel installation without modifying the engine source code.

The example project shows how to make a custom inventory UI with grid layout, pagination and drag-drop window, add custom engine service and related configuration menu, add input bindings, use state outsourcing, author custom scenario commands and expression functions.

You can clone the project repository with a Git client or download it as a zip archive.

Be aware, that Naninovel package is not distributed with the project, hence compilation errors will be produced after opening it for the first time; import Naninovel from the Asset Store to resolve the issues.

Installation

To setup inventory extension on top of an existing Unity project use UPM to install the package via the following git URL: https://github.com/Elringus/NaninovelInventory.git?path=Assets/NaninovelInventory or download and import NaninovelInventory.unitypackage manually.

After importing the package, add Elringus.NaninovelInventory.Runtime and Elringus.NaninovelInventory.Editor records to the Type Assemblies list property found in the engine configuration menu and restart Unity editor (otherwise the custom implementation types under the assemblies won't be accessible by Naninovel).

Usage

To create a pre-made inventory UI from template, use Create -> Naninovel -> Inventory -> Inventory UI asset context menu. Then add the prefab to the Naninovel UI resources via Naninovel -> Resources -> UI editor menu. Once added, the UI can be shown/hidden like all the other UIs with @showUI and @hideUI commands.

The Inventory UI component has Capacity property, where you can change number of slots in the inventory. Slot grid is configured (slot number and layout, slots per page, etc) via Content/InventoryGrid game object. Window drag-drop behavior can be configured (disabled) via Drag Drop component attached to Content game object.

Inventory item prefabs can be created with Create -> Naninovel -> Inventory -> Inventory Item asset context menu. The item prefabs will then need to be assigned as inventory resources via Naninovel -> Resources -> Inventory editor menu.

In case you have a lot of items and it's inconvenient to assign them via editor menu, it's possible to just drop them at Resources/Naninovel/Inventory folder and they'll automatically be exposed to the engine. You can additionally organize them with sub-folders, if you wish; in this case use forward slashes (/) when referencing them in naninovel scripts. Eg, item stored as Resources/Naninovel/Inventory/Armor/FullPlate.prefab can be referenced in scripts as Armor/FullPlate.

It's also possible to use addressable asset system to manually expose the resources. To expose an asset, assign address equal to the path you'd use to expose it via the method described above, except omit the "Resources/" part. Eg, to expose a "FullPlate.prefab" item, assign the prefab asset following address: Naninovel/Inventory/FullPlate. Be aware, that addressable provider is not used in editor by default; you can allow it by enabling Enable Addressable In Editor property in resource provider configuration menu.

Each item has a Stack Count Limit property to limit how much items of this type can be stacked in a single inventory slot and a On Item Used Unity event, which is invoked when the item is used (either via @useItem command or when user clicks on the item in the inventory). Below is an example on how you can setup the event with Play Script component to remove the item once it used, spawn a glitch special effect and print a text message.

You can add items to the inventory with @addItem command and remove with @removeItem (or @removeItemAt, @removeAllItems). Item IDs are equal to the item prefab names. Inventory slot IDs are equal to the grid slot indexes (eg, first slot is 0, second is 1, etc).

ItemExist() and ItemCount() custom expression functions to check wither an items exist in inventory and number of existing items are also available for convenience.

Below is a script from the example project:

Code: Select all

# Start

Select an action.[skipInput]

@choice "Pick up sword" if:!ItemExist("Sword") do:"@addItem Sword, @goto .Adventure"
@choice "Pick up armor" if:!ItemExist("Armor") do:"@addItem Armor, @goto .Adventure"
@choice "Adventure awaits, venture forth!"
@stop

# Adventure

@if ItemExist("Sword")
	@set monstersSlayed="{ItemExist("Armor") ? Random(3,5) : 2}"
	@addItem Food amount:{monstersSlayed}
	You've encountered and slayed {monstersSlayed} monsters with your sword.[if !ItemExist("Armor")] You could've been more productive with an armor, though.[endif][i][showUI Inventory wait:false] Check your inventory for the loot!
	@goto .Start
@else
	But you don't have a weapon! You've been beaten by the monsters.[if ItemExist("Armor")] At least it didn't hurt that much, thanks to the armor.[endif] Let's prepare better next time.
	@goto .Start
@endif
Nysalie

Re: Inventory

Post by Nysalie »

Great stuff! This is an excellent isolated example to study. I'm slowly understanding how the engine works under the hood. Hopefully I'll be able to come up with some simple extensions for my game using this as a base to work with. As a new C# learner (and OOP programming for that matter) I must say, your abstraction game is on point, the code is a pleasure to read through.

Just curious, are you planning on adding the new commands from the extension to your Atom language?
Any way to add our own to it too? Not everyone uses Atom, so I completely understand that this is far from a major focus point of development but perhaps it could be a "small" feature to consider in the future.

Elringus
admin

Post by Elringus »

Glad you found the example useful! Regarding Atom extension, it's possible to add custom commands (including the ones in the example) by editing server/metadata.json file found in the extension directory. Here's an example: https://naninovel.com/guide/playmaker.h ... -extension

We have plans to implement an automatic way to add custom commands found in a Unity project to the metadata in the future, but at the moment work in this direction is blocked by LSP lacking semantic highlighting capabilities. You can find more info about that here: https://github.com/Elringus/NaninovelWe ... -492987029

Elringus
admin

Post by Elringus »

Update: It's now possible to automatically generate custom commands metadata for IDE support; find more info in the guide: https://naninovel.com/guide/custom-comm ... e-metadata

drunkrobot

Post by drunkrobot »

Hi I'm finding your product awesome and very udeful.
Unfortunately I'm having problem to download the package and importing it in unity.
The "git system" does not work for me cause i use svn, and the direct download create a strange file without icon witch is not accepted from unity.
Can you please help me?

Elringus
admin

Post by Elringus »

drunkrobot

Post by drunkrobot »

I have done it in another way thx

haruport

Post by haruport »

How can I add add an Inventory to the wide text printer?

Elringus
admin

Post by Elringus »

Inventory is a custom UI, not sure what you mean by adding it to a text printer.

haruport

Post by haruport »

I meant like in the image you showed above, the inventory button is in the text printer down there.

Elringus
admin

Post by Elringus »

It's added to the printer control panel. You can find the example in the project.

haruport

Post by haruport »

Ah alright.

drunkrobot

Post by drunkrobot »

Hi there is a way to simply add a tootlip for item and a drag and drop function to use them?

Elringus
admin

Post by Elringus »

There sure is, look for Unity tutorials on tooltips and drag-drop stuff.

drunkrobot

Post by drunkrobot »

i am having problem on how to get references to the name of the inventary item