Bug & Solution report : MissingReferenceException when Log enabled + Unloading

The engine is not working as expected? Documentation is wrong or out of date? Let us know here!
Forum rules
We are not providing support via this forum; it's community-driven. For official support see https://naninovel.com/support/#naninovel-support
PersonMan

Bug & Solution report : MissingReferenceException when Log enabled + Unloading

Post by PersonMan »

In my project I have one particular scene which I use to display small Naninovel cutscene scripts. To that end, I've done the following :

Naninovel -> Engine -> Scene Independent = false (I want it to completely go away when the scene is unloaded)
Naninovel -> Resource Provider -> Log Resource Loading = true (I want to log resource loading while in testing)

This combination of options however causes a spew of exceptions when the scene unloads

Code: Select all

MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'Text' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.
UnityEngine.EventSystems.UIBehaviour.IsActive () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.ugui@1.0.0/Runtime/EventSystem/UIBehaviour.cs:28)
UnityEngine.UI.Graphic.SetVerticesDirty () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.ugui@1.0.0/Runtime/UI/Core/Graphic.cs:291)
UnityEngine.UI.Text.set_text (System.String value) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.ugui@1.0.0/Runtime/UI/Core/Text.cs:218)
Naninovel.UI.LoadLoggerScrollRect.Log (System.String message) (at Assets/Naninovel/Runtime/UI/Loading/LoadLoggerScrollRect.cs:27)
System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore+<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__7_0 (System.Object state) (at <1fe4b731108247d3a7e57fad336611b9>:0)
UnityEngine.UnitySynchronizationContext+WorkRequest.Invoke () (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Scripting/UnitySynchronizationContext.cs:153)
UnityEngine.UnitySynchronizationContext.Exec () (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Scripting/UnitySynchronizationContext.cs:83)
UnityEngine.UnitySynchronizationContext.ExecuteTasks () (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Scripting/UnitySynchronizationContext.cs:107)

I think the simple solution would just be to check the truthiness of loggerText in LoadLoggerScrollRect before accessing its text, as this resolves the issue on my local setup

Code: Select all

if (loggerText)
{
    loggerText.text += message;
    loggerText.text += Environment.NewLine;
    UIComponent.verticalNormalizedPosition = 0;

if (loggerText.text.Length >
    10000) // UI.Text has char limit (depends on vertex count per char, 65k verts is the limit).
    loggerText.text = loggerText.text.GetAfterFirst(Environment.NewLine);
}
Elringus
admin

Re: Bug & Solution report : MissingReferenceException when Log enabled + Unloading

Post by Elringus »

Thank you, I'll investigate this.

Elringus
admin

Re: Bug & Solution report : MissingReferenceException when Log enabled + Unloading

Post by Elringus »

This is now fixed in v1.18, thanks for letting us know of the issue!