Default sound bites per appearance

Have an idea how we can improve the engine or this forum? Share it here!
ckastens

Default sound bites per appearance

Post by ckastens »

I´d love a way to be able to attach a sound bite to each character appearance that automatically triggers when the appearance changes.
That way I can record a dozen sound bites for each character like "Whee" that plays every time they switch to a happy appearance, "Grrr" for angry, etc.
It´s a cheap audio solution for those of us who can´t afford full voice recording but would like to add in some minimal voice acting for flavor, and do it without having to manually attach the same voice clips over and over to the lines.
Ideal would be:
1) Playing only on appearance changes, so if I have three "happy" lines in a row, it doesn´t play it three times, just on the first one.
2) The default is overriden if voice acting has been recorded for a specific line. That way, I have the option to choose a few scenes to record for impact and have the default play the rest of the time.
Even AAA games like Octopath Traveller use this technique to fill in gaps in their voice recordings.

Elringus
admin

Re: Default sound bites per appearance

Post by Elringus »

Hi, Thanks for the suggestion! Have you tried layered or generic chars, which have On Appearance Changed Unity event? You can easily hook it to play an audio when appearance changes. Alternatively, you can override @char command to perform a custom behavior on appearance change.

ckastens

Re: Default sound bites per appearance

Post by ckastens »

Thanks! I´m using sprite characters in one project and generic in another with OnAppearanceChanged triggering animations. I´ll take a look at those options and see what make sense.