Speech Animation for characters ≠ Live2D

Have an idea how we can improve the engine or this forum? Share it here!
MikeBowe

Speech Animation for characters ≠ Live2D

Post by MikeBowe »

Live2D is just incredibly hard to use and make it work with Nani.

I would be happy just some kind of simple GIF-like animation sequence capabilities, like being able to define few frames that could be activated with a command (or automatically) when dialog is being printed. That kind of animation could be used easily for other purposes as well.

This could be in the character panel, different versions of the avatar being simplest even though bit memory consuming.

I'm also open for super clear instructions and tutorials how to do that (speech / eye blinks) with Live2D, without NAY of that japanese or too complicated instructions in their "english version" of docs...

Elringus
admin

Re: Speech Animation for characters ≠ Live2D

Post by Elringus »

Hey, You can make GIF (or any other kind of) animations with Unity's animation system: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/AnimationSection.html Animations are supported in layered (make sure to enable Animated) and generic implementations. Generic also has Unity events for start/stop speaking events, which you can use to control the speaking animation.

MikeBowe

Post by MikeBowe »

Yeah, that is one option. I would rather have something even simpler, since we have dozens of characters, and they have multiple poses each one... it's handful. And Live2D is a... mmm... even less option.

I guess layered could work. It has that start stop event as well? From the docs:

To set up lip sync feature for layered characters, use On Started Speaking and On Finished Speaking Unity events of Layered Character Behaviour component. When the character becomes or ceases to be the author of any printed message (or rather when the message is fully revealed), the events will be invoked allowing you to trigger any custom logic, like starting or stopping mouth animation of the controlled character.

Elringus
admin

Post by Elringus »

Ah, I forgot layered also has this feature, my bad. Yes, you can setup lip sync with layered the same way as generic implementation.

JiaxuZhang

Post by JiaxuZhang »

Elringus wrote: 15 Jan 2021 10:11

Hey, You can make GIF (or any other kind of) animations with Unity's animation system: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/AnimationSection.html Animations are supported in layered (make sure to enable Animated) and generic implementations. Generic also has Unity events for start/stop speaking events, which you can use to control the speaking animation.

Sorry I saw you mentioned gif animation here, i want to ask that i have created created a .gif animation of blink for my character, does naninovel support it? Can i just import it as a texture?

Elringus
admin

Post by Elringus »

It's the matter of Unity supporting it, not Naninovel. Iirc, there was something for that, either built-in or via third party solutions.

MikeBowe

Post by MikeBowe »

JiaxuZhang wrote: 03 Dec 2021 21:03

Sorry I saw you mentioned gif animation here, i want to ask that i have created created a .gif animation of blink for my character, does naninovel support it? Can i just import it as a texture?

We ended up doing our own Sprite-animation with code, kind of coded .GIF :) That system handles both eye-blink and real-time lip-sync, using few normal Unity-sprites. First proto of that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1Cw0tE6g6k&t=2s

Using something like this is way more flexible than using .Gif, for starters .GIF only has limited amount of colors and so on.