A couple of suggestions

Have an idea how we can improve the engine or this forum? Share it here!
oyabaka

A couple of suggestions

Post by oyabaka »

I first want to say that I've been using Naninovel for over a year and I think it's great—it has exceeded my expectations. It can pretty much do everything I want my game to do. That said, I have a few of suggestions.

1.) The unlockable tips feature is great. Currently, there is an option to put in a category. I think it would be nice if that category section was functional—the tips could be organized by category and the user could click on that category.
Example: https://imgur.com/srCbUCO
Right now, I have a long list of words and I think that when the user wants to go back to read about the item again, it would be easier for them to be able to find it via a category.

2.) Right now, @input shows a field UI. Would it be possible to have a similar command with a dropdown list? This will prevent the user from writing in anything other than the intended response. It's probably easy for someone with basic C# programming knowledge to make this on their own, but I just have a very rudimentary knowledge and am not clear on how to make this.

3.) I'm not sure how feasible this would be, but would it be possible to make a character (user?) creation page? It would be a page where the user could enter his or her character's name and other information. This information can be used to customize the game more.
Example: https://imgur.com/GweRnKm

Elringus
admin

Re: A couple of suggestions

Post by Elringus »

Hey, Thanks for using Nani and for the suggestions!

1. The built-in UIs are mostly for example. You can modify or completely replace them via UI customization options.
  2. Sure, you can create a custom command (or override @input) to show a custom input field UI. Naninovel is not limiting in any way on how you can use Unity to tailor the systems for your needs.
  3. Absolutely. There are multiple ways to achieve this. The simplest I guess would be adding a custom UI and using play script components.
fyrrion

Post by fyrrion »

Elringus wrote: 21 Nov 2021 15:16

Hey, Thanks for using Nani and for the suggestions!

1. The built-in UIs are mostly for example. You can modify or completely replace them via UI customization options.
  2. Sure, you can create a custom command (or override @input) to show a custom input field UI. Naninovel is not limiting in any way on how you can use Unity to tailor the systems for your needs.
  3. Absolutely. There are multiple ways to achieve this. The simplest I guess would be adding a custom UI and using play script components.

Based on the fact that the creator of the topic indicated that his technical knowledge is low, like many users, the question here is not whether it is possible to do it yourself (by understanding complex technical details, of which there are more than a hundred ++).

And the question is, is it possible to make templates that can be customized by replacing something, and not from 0 to create everything yourself?

A lot of things have been done in Naninovel now, which gives hope that this will also be implemented.

1 and 2 I understand well, I myself gave a few months ago as an example myself.
This is not some purely individual functionality, but useful and necessary for many projects and it would be good if the authors could use it without a multi-day study of Unity.

Alas, but referring to the Unity or C++ documentation is clearly not consistent with the slogan on the main page of the site: "Write stories, not code!"

Elringus
admin

Post by Elringus »

We can't have every specific functionality implemented as a built-in template. That will bloat the engine and make it impossible to support and maintain. Naninovel is a VN framework, not a collection of pre-built templates.

Regarding stories, you can indeed write them without code. For example, our demo and most of the other example projects don't have any custom C# scripts.