Naninovel/AC - ActionList not working

The engine is not working as expected? Documentation is wrong or out of date? Let us know here!
Forum rules
We are not providing support via this forum; it's community-driven. For official support see https://naninovel.com/support/#naninovel-support
Gonzo

Naninovel/AC - ActionList not working

Post by Gonzo »

Hi everybody! :)
Sorry if my english is not perfect.

Well i´ve been having trouble the last couple of weeks with the custom naninovel action for AC. The thing is that every time i run the naninovel custom action, the action that comes next doesn´t run, and i don´t know exactly why. Maybe im missing some command line in the nani script, or maybe is a feature that is not currently in naninovel. i took screenshots so maybe you can help me ;)!

https://imgur.com/g1836TJ ----- This is an actionlist screenshot, with the actions that comes next, that doesn´t work

https://imgur.com/ZNhMusk ----- I´ve tried this to know if the problem is in the naninovel action, and yes if i don´t run that naniscript the actions that comes next do run.

https://imgur.com/yPz4Vq2 ----- This is a screen of the script that im running

I ´ve had this problem before, with another actionlist, and i solved it by running both actions in parallel, but in this case i can´t do that, i need it to run the action right after the naninovel script is finished.

I hope i made myself clear with the problem im having, if anybody knows how can i solve this, please help me : )!
Thank you!

Elringus
admin

Re: Naninovel/AC - ActionList not working

Post by Elringus »

Moved the topic to Other subforum, as it's about a third party tool.

Hey, I'm not very familiar with AC, but would suggest checking example AC integration project. It uses custom actions and is working fine as far as I can tell (tested it recently with the latest Unity, AC and Naninovel versions).

Nysalie

Post by Nysalie »

Never used AC before but have you tried running the action without turning AC off but still switch the camera? Are you able to go back to AC when the Naninovel script finishes?

From a few videos I've watched on youtube, AC looks cool for a more interactive experience but it must be a pain to serialize game states in sync with Naninovel. Do you save everything with either AC or Naninovel while passing variables and whatnot from one to another? Or somehow keep them independent? Just curious.

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Hello! Im sorry it took me so long to reply, I had a lot of work : (

Thank you so much for your reply. I tried many ways to make it work, but i couldn't find a way. It works only if the last action is a naniscript. I've tried your idea Nysalie, but the problem with it is that when i don´t turn AC off, the next action runs simultaneously and ruins somehow the timing between actions. For example if i want an npc to say something in AC after the naniscripts finishes, it wouldn't work if they both run at the same time.

I made a little diagram to explain the issue i am having: https://imgur.com/Z3K6Hlt
AC doesn't have a way to find out when a naniscript is finished, so it can run the next action. Is there a way to fix this? Please.

"Do you save everything with either AC or Naninovel while passing variables and whatnot from one to another? Or somehow keep them independent?"
I use AC as my main game asset, and i use naninovel for the interactions with the npcs, both are crutial to my game project. I keep them independent because i couldn't find a way to pass variables between them, so i had to create a LOT of naniscripts, im actually experimenting. I tried using playmaker for the variables, but i couldn´t make it work haha : p

Anyway thank you again for taking your time for replying! I hope i made myself clear with the problem im having, and if my english is not very clear haha

Thank you! :D

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Hello!
So i posted the same post in the AC Forum, and i got answered by Chris (The creator of AC), and he replied:

"It would depend on the code itself that makes up the custom Action.
For an Action to "end" and move on, you need to return a value of zero in its Run() function. If you previously returned another value, you'll also need to set isRunning to false - see the example code in the ActionTemplate file.
If you can share the code itself via e.g. pasteall.org, I can take a look and see what's wrong."

So i showed him the AdventurecreatorNaninovel Package and the guide of Naninovel/AC, and he answered:

"I see, thanks for the details. Try unchecking "Turn off AC?", as this is may well be interfering with the AC's ability to run things.
Otherwise, it's likely due to the Naninovel system itself - the Action's completion is dependent on other Naninovel script functions to run, so it may be that it's being "held up" by those. You should get in touch with the author of this code if so, as they'll be the ones better equipped to know what the specific issue will be."

Link of the post (just in case):
https://adventurecreator.org/forum/disc ... ing#latest

I ask him if he can give me any advise on how can i solve the code problem, but im truly lost here : /
Is it possible to fix it? it is crutial for my project to make this work.
Sorry for the long post

Thank you so much!

Elringus
admin

Post by Elringus »

Hey, Have you check the example AC integration project? It uses custom actions and is working fine as far as I can tell.

Nysalie

Post by Nysalie »

Gonzo wrote: 21 Jul 2020 17:40

I use AC as my main game asset, and i use naninovel for the interactions with the npcs, both are crutial to my game project. I keep them independent because i couldn't find a way to pass variables between them, so i had to create a LOT of naniscripts, im actually experimenting. I tried using playmaker for the variables, but i couldn´t make it work haha : p

Uff, that sounds like a proper headache. Yeah, don't make it harder on yourself by creating too many dependencies between frameworks.
Since I don't use AC I can't help on your issue but good luck with your project, a game with AC and Naninovel would be pretty sweet, something like the good old Monkey Island series.

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Elringus wrote: 24 Jul 2020 17:23

Hey, Have you check the example AC integration project? It uses custom actions and is working fine as far as I can tell.

Yes, i´ve tried it! And the integration works fine, but it is having the same problem as my project. I´ve made a video explaing the problem, using the demo:

https://youtu.be/vW1osWd7tRE

Please let me know, if there is something im missing!
Thank you!

Nysalie wrote: 26 Jul 2020 15:15
Gonzo wrote: 21 Jul 2020 17:40

Uff, that sounds like a proper headache. Yeah, don't make it harder on yourself by creating too many dependencies between frameworks.
Since I don't use AC I can't help on your issue but good luck with your project, a game with AC and Naninovel would be pretty sweet, something like the good old Monkey Island series.

Haha well yes! But i kinda got used to this method, maybe i could keep trying with the playmaker and the variables, but right now im focusing all my energy in the game art! haha.

Yess, both assets are amazing, i hope the game turns up ok..
And if you come with an idea on how to solve this, please let me know!
Thank you!

Elringus
admin

Post by Elringus »

Thank you for the video and explanation! The thing is that "PlayScript" action returns right after starting the playback, not after the script has finished playing. What you need is a way to run a specific AC action list after exiting naninovel mode.

I've added an action parameter to @turnOnAC command. Here is how it can be used:

AC extension package has been updated, you can download via the same link specified in the docs.

Example AC integration project has also been updated to run specific action lists after exiting naninovel mode; feel free to use it as a reference.

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Thank you so much Ringus :D ! This is exactly what i needed!

One last question, and now is it possible for example,: if the player choose an option A (In the naniscript), it runs the action list "A" (Once the NaniScript ended), and if the player choose option B(In the same naniscript), it runs the actionlist "B"?

Again, thank you for the fix!

Elringus
admin

Post by Elringus »

There are multiple ways to achieve that: with do parameter of choice command, by going to a label on choice or by setting a var on choice and using it later.