How to have choices carry into other games (Episodic serialization)

General development topics: using various Unity tools, publishing games, etc.
haruport

How to have choices carry into other games (Episodic serialization)

Post by haruport »

Hi, I'm making an episodic game and trying to figure out how to pull off episodic serialization in my games, with choices carrying into other episodes, on top of that, how could I create an "Episodes" menu to launch different episodes of the game?

Elringus
admin

Re: How to have choices carry into other games (Episodic serialization)

Post by Elringus »

Hi, That's a bit out of scope for the engine. Naninovel serialize data (including custom variables, which you can use to store the choices) via serialization handlers; find more info in the guide: https://naninovel.com/guide/state-management It's up to the end user on how to implement the migration between applications. The data can be synced via network (eg, using a service, such as google play) or locally, by moving the files on the platform file system. That said, I'd instead suggest distributing the episodes as DLCs for one single application. This should be easier to implement and maintain. There are multiple ways to implement DLCs, one of them is using Unity's addressable asset system. On Naninovel's side, the system can be used by configuring an appropriate resource provider: https://naninovel.com/guide/resource-providers Be aware, that both setting up data migration between apps and implementing DLCs are not trivial tasks and would likely require some programming.

haruport

Post by haruport »

Ah yes, I meant to say into other episodes (the episodes being like DLC), I see. Alright.

What about an Episodes menu? How could I make that?

Elringus
admin

Post by Elringus »

Just play related scripts on button click.

haruport

Post by haruport »

Alright, thank you!