Default generic character expression on enter

General development topics: using various Unity tools, publishing games, etc.
mizura

Default generic character expression on enter

Post by mizura »

Hello! I'm super new with Unity so I'm hoping this will be a simple fix :D

Attempting to port a VN we made through VNM which was too buggy for words- I can get most everything conceptually from the Naninovel guide but there's this blurb that says: "Generic actor implementations just route events from the scenario scripts[...] Don't expect most of the actor-related features to work automatically with the generic implementations."

The sprites are 2D and I think I understand the animation concept, everything is tied together and build under genericchar but if I put "@char Person.Happy" , it will still show the character as Default. Is there some toggle I'm missing that's making the expression always default when they enter?

Once they're on the screen, the updated animated expressions are working fine, it's just they don't appear on screen with alternate expressions so I think i'm missing a tag somewhere?

Thanks!

idaot
support

Re: Default generic character expression on enter

Post by idaot »

Hello and welcome!

I highly recommend checking out the generic actor example project which will give you a full working example of a generic character in action. https://github.com/Naninovel/GenericActor

From the sounds of things, it sounds like an issue on the Animator side, you'll need to assign the default state which is the one they'll enter when the character spawns. You can read more about animator states on here: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-State.html

mizura

Post by mizura »

Thank you! It looks like it is just how the Unity animator is supposed to work, but it's not really helpful for this situation.. :(
Is there a simpler solution in naninovel currently for adding simple 2D character blinking or is genericactor + animator the only way to go about it?

Elringus
admin

Post by Elringus »

Layered chars support animation, so you can try those: https://naninovel.com/guide/characters. ... characters (don't forget to enable Animated on the layered behavior component).

mizura

Post by mizura »

Thank you! Was trying to avoid the layering initially because I was not sure if using full size sprites would just keep tacking on the images and make them slowly more bold as the expressions changed...

In order to use the general tag like Actor.Angry expression would I have to pin each of the expressions as poses?

Since Actor.Expression>Angry: Blahblah doesn't seem to work

Just making sure I'm not missing something simple.