New Input System/Event System issue

All about user interface, be it customizing built-in UIs or adding new ones.
Orenn16

New Input System/Event System issue

Post by Orenn16 »

Hello,

I'm hoping to find a bit of help with implementing input using Unity's new input system. I'm following the instructions listed here:
https://naninovel.com/guide/input-proce ... put-system

I'm stuck on the part that reads:

"After the package is installed, create an event system prefab; you can use UI -> Event System in the hierarchy window to create a default one. Make sure Input System UI Input Module is attached to the prefab. When creating a default event system, Unity will suggest to automatically convert legacy input module component to the new one."

and then:

"Assign the created event system prefab to Custom Event System property in the Naninovel UI configuration menu, then disable Spawn Input Module in the same menu."

When I create the Event System then go to assign said event system to the Custom Event System property, I'm unable to find it. My only option is to leave the field saying "none (Event System)" and can't add my custom created one.

To give some more details, I'm not sure I properly know how to "make sure input system UI input module is attached the the prefab" as the instructions state, so maybe that's my issue? Any guidance anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Elringus
admin

Re: New Input System/Event System issue

Post by Elringus »

Have you checked the example project mentioned in the article? It has everything setup and working with the new input.

Orenn16

Post by Orenn16 »

Hello, thanks for your quick response!

I did make an attempt to look at the project in the article but struggled seeing where I might be missing a step or implementing it incorrectly, though I'm sure that's just my lack of experience. The example project, like the article, has the custom event system listed in the event system field, where as in my project the only option I have in that category is to leave it blank, or rather in it's default state of "None (Event System)" This leads me to believe I'm creating the event system incorrectly? I use the hierarchy window to go to UI, then Event System. From there I update the event system when Unity asks, and add in the DefaultInputActions Asset with my Naninovel action map. But when I go to Project Settings and uncheck "spawn input module" and try to replace the Custom Event System from "None" to my newly created event system, it's not located. When I create it, am I somehow putting it in the wrong spot?

Orenn16

Post by Orenn16 »

Sorry to post a follow up but figured I’d at h a super short video of what I’m talking about. Apologies for the off screen footage but I think it gets the point across. Thanks again in advance for any direction you can give!

Elringus wrote: 05 Jan 2023 11:59

Have you checked the example project mentioned in the article? It has everything setup and working with the new input.

idaot
support

Post by idaot »

You'll need to drag the Event System into the Project window to turn it into a resource, it's not enough to create it in the scene.

Orenn16

Post by Orenn16 »

idaot wrote: 10 Jan 2023 08:24

You'll need to drag the Event System into the Project window to turn it into a resource, it's not enough to create it in the scene.

Still no luck but thank you, maybe I’m doing that part wrong. I forgot to attach the video link in my last post anyway so let me add it here and maybe you can tell me what went wrong? Thanks again!

https://youtu.be/9wb1HPl7VQ4

idaot
support

Post by idaot »

It should be possible to drag the Event System into the field just like you did when dragging it from the scene to the Project. Unfortunately the editor resource fields tend to be buggy so you'll need to do it manually occasionally.

Orenn16

Post by Orenn16 »

That is odd. Well, thank you for the response. I finally got the input system up and running without utilizing the customer event system spawn by simply telling it not to spawn an event system, and it auto detected the one I made, though it never did find it when I specifically tell it to use my custom event. Very strange.